Thursday, September 26, 2013

Week 5: Facebook from the Users Point of View

To further my case study I have chosen to look at three examples of the types of posts that users post on the walls of the three Facebook pages that I have decided to base my research on.  They are as follows:

From Jesus Daily:
“I'M IN LOVE WITH MY JESUS, AND YOU GUYS ARE SPECIAL TO HIM, SO LET'S RUN TO HIM NOW!!!”
“John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
”Please pray for my brother...***** **** .....He is in dire need of prayer's ....as he is about to have a third operation over the next 24 hours as doctors try desperately to save his life”

From Joel Osteen Ministries:
“Man of God help me pray for my business, Donsamuel from Nigeria”
“Please add your faith, awaiting a breakthrough for new house for 7 yrs. God bless.”
“I AM ENCOURAGED BY THE GREAT WORKS OF GOD MANIFESTED IN YOUR MINISTRY.BE MY PRAYER PARTNER FOR GOD'S WORK IN KENYA.”

From T.D. Jakes Ministries:
“Yes I will I believe in my awesome God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Thanks be to all of you. Hallelujah”
“Thank You LORD for teaching me to suffer ...well. Thank You for showing me how to truly flourish in every area of my life here in the flesh.”
“Lord please bless me with a discerning spirit so I can be more aware of the things that you are asking me to do in Jesus name I pray amen....”

The main purpose of social media is to be able to connect with others around the world and share your opinions and thoughts. What Facebook has allowed is the transmission of these messages in hyper-speed. Hyper-speed means that what you post can be seen the minute you post it, rather than having to wait for it like you would traditional mail. This technology has allowed Facebook users to have conversations and debates with other users as if they were standing face-to-face. When it comes to how religion is expressed or portrayed, this type of technology has allowed people to post specific comments or prayers directed at certain people, rather than just general comments that can be applied to many. It also allows for real time conversations and debates that can lead to further spiritual enlightenment. Individuals have also used this technology to make prayer requests, post words of encouragement, and quote scripture in the hope that someone out there will either respond or be touched by what they said. These expressions of their religious beliefs are personalized because Facebook and the technologies it employs, allows them to be.

These individuals used social media to express their concerns, share thoughts and scriptures, and ask for prayers for loved ones. These posts weren’t really unique, because these types of posts are commonplace on the Facebook sites I have chosen to study. They have become the norm for those trying to express their religious views through social media. The visual elements of these sites serve as a reminder of who God is and the beauty he has created. These images draw “ fans” to their pages through the use of visual, logical, and emotional appeals. The central goal of the posts I have studied seems to be the promotion of God’s word through scripture or testimony, as well as the request for intercession through prayer. All in all, a central theme I observed from these posts is the idea that God is a god that will help you through your struggle if you trust him enough to lay your burdens down before him.










No comments:

Post a Comment